SEND -an introduction
At Our Lady’s we believe that every child has been given gifts from God which we aim to identify and encourage all children to follow their dreams and flourish. We believe in true inclusion and follow the EEF (Education Endowment Foundation) guidance that the best place for the child to learn and develop is the classroom and that every child deserves the highest quality teaching. We aim not to be precious but open minded that every child is unique and that it is our endeavour to ensure any barriers to learning are removed.
Our broad and balanced curriculum is adapted to meet individual needs and systems for early identification of barriers to learning and participation. We believe that educational inclusion is about equal opportunities for all learners whatever their age, gender, ethnicity, impairment, attainment and background.
Our Lady’s Catholic College curriculum statement outlines the intent, implementation and impact of the curriculum for all children.
Achievement with care is our vision for all our pupils. We aim to ensure that:
- Pupils with learning difficulties are able to access their entitlement to a broad, balanced and relevant curriculum as part of the whole school community.
- Pupils with SEND are educated, wherever possible, in an inclusive environment alongside their peers to enable each pupil to reach his or her full potential.
- We match levels of additional support for learning to the wide variety of individual learning difficulties, while enhancing self-esteem.
- We identify and assess pupils with SEND as early and as thoroughly as possible using the revised Code of Practice (2014).
- Parents/carers and pupils are fully involved in the identification and assessment of SEND, and that we strive for close co-operation between all agencies concerned, using a multi-disciplinary approach.
- We endeavour to meet the needs of all pupils with SEND by offering appropriate and flexible forms of educational provision, by the most efficient use of all available resources.
- We maintain up to date knowledge of current SEND good practice and methodology in order to offer support and training in these areas to all staff in the school.
The SENDCo at Our Lady’s is Mrs Loxam. We also have two HLTAs Miss Madden (ARK and provision lead) and Miss Sweeney (Access arrangement assessor and EHCP oversight)
All can be contacted on the emails below
Mrs Loxam firstname.lastname@example.org
Miss Madden email@example.com
Miss Sweeney firstname.lastname@example.org
An outline of the offer available to our children is found in the SEN information report.
The local offer from the local authority can be found here: